Thursday, March 11, 2010

LA LA Land


For a long time I thought southern California was the place for me. While growing up in Queens, I would watch Save by The Bell and wanted to be Lisa or Kelly; play volleyball on the beach and jog alongside the ocean. I recently spent an extended period of time in LA and I got to try out the life I thought I wanted.

In the mornings I ran along side of the ocean to Santa Monica Pier, drove to work in the horrible LA traffic and at night went out in West Hollywood. During the weekend I drove my (rental) car down the palm trees of Beverly Hills, shopped on Melrose and biked down Venice Beach. It was everything I thought it would be but there was something missing, my heart wasn’t in it.

Don’t get me wrong, I have really great friends who love LA and the sushi is great - plus In N Out Burger is out there - but it just didn’t feel right for me. Maybe it was because I’m not the best driver and a big fan of public transportation. I still can’t put my finger on it but what I know for certain is that it made me miss my new home, Chicago, and all the wonderful people that have come into my life.

Perhaps LA will feel right to me in the future but for now, I’m happy where I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

newer older home